Our parent organization here at the Daily Yonder, the Center for Rural Strategies, calls Eastern Kentucky home. Our international headquarters in Whitesburg narrowly dodged the severe flooding on Thursday, July 28. But many of our neighbors and allies were not so lucky.
As noted in our story on the response, these communities are not just home for us, they are also some of the most rural in the U.S. For both of these reasons, we are called to be of service in this moment and help out however we can. Given your interest in the Daily Yonder, we know your heart is with our rural family in Kentucky too.
If you’d like to join us in helping with flood recovery, please consider doing so using the resources below. We will keep this collection updated as the recovery continues.
If you have been directly affected by the flood or know anyone who has, a compilation of official state resources is available on the governor’s website.
Sending money instead of donating goods and supplies is the best way to help people experiencing disasters. Anyone near or far can help the flood relief efforts by donating to these trusted organizations:
- Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief Fund, established by Governor Andy Beshear. You may also donate by mailing a check to Public Protection Cabinet, 500 Mero Street, 218 NC, Frankfort, KY 40601.
- The Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky’s Appalachian Crisis Aid Fund. Donate using the online form.
- The Cowan Community Action Group provides relief focused on feeding those in need food.
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare’s ARH Foundation has established a Flood Relief Fund.
Cultural and community institutions are also in need of donations, both to rebuild and to continue service to their communities. These include:
Several communities have also set up mutual aid funds, which disperse funds directly to community members.
- EKY Mutual Aid, available via Paypal, Venmo (@ekymutualaid), and Cash App ($ekymutualaid)
- Southern Appalachian Mountain Stewards — Lonesome Pine Mutual Aid Fund
- Happalachian Social Club mutual aid via PayPal. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org to support communities in southwestern Virginia that have also been hit hard by flooding.
If there are other verified resources that we should be aware of or groups in need of support, please share them using the form below. We will review submissions and consider adding them to this page.